Skip to content

my morning ritual

March 16, 2009



i hit the snooze button. 9 more minutes. thats all i need.


by 6:45ish i cross the hall to get kass up. even though her alarm has been going off since 6:20 am. slacker!

i crawl back into bed. grab my iPhone and start my day.

i roll over, snuggle under the covers, open one eye…yes, one eye. i cannot keep both eyes open first thing in the morning. dunno why. just cant. i begin to read my mail. most my mail at this hour are comments from all of you lovely people. so youre what i wake up too. well, me and my one eye πŸ˜‰

depending on how much there is to read, i’ll roll over to my other side so that i can give the opposite eye a break from reading. the tired eye gets to close for a bit while the slightly more rested one and i continue the morning ritual.

the hard part is when one of you says something uber-funny-hilarious and i have to hold back the giggles so that i dont wake mr. inprogress. that wouldnt be good now, would it? πŸ˜€

when ive read through my email, i switch over to twitter. meanwhile, the dog – Duke – is pacing up and down the hall way [on the wood floor! CLICKETY-CLICKETY-CLICK] waiting not patiently for his breakfast.

after my twitter reads are caught up, i snooze for another 10 or so minutes then go back across the hall to wake up stinky boy. i dont actually enter his room. oh no. that could be vital to my health. i may never make it safely back out. so i switch on his light (didnt you hate it when your parents did that?!) and begin the laborious process of waking a preteen boy πŸ˜•

from this point on im wide awake and have switched into full mom gear.

breakfast is made, lunches are packed, dog is ignored, laundry may or may not get my attention, kitchen cleaned and mr. inprogress is snoring.

and these are my favorite 90 minutes of the whole day!

what are your first 90 minutes like?

38 Comments leave one →
  1. March 17, 2009 12:09 am

    Wake up
    let the dogs out
    go to the bathroom
    go back to snuggle my husband
    wake up again
    start the day

  2. March 17, 2009 3:25 am

    [i used to do the same thing… checked my email. on my phone. in bed. with only one eye. i miss my life.]

  3. March 17, 2009 4:27 am

    Alarm goes off at 6am
    I get up at 7am
    Wake the boy (7) up
    Make coffee and his breakfast
    Don’t bother waking the girl (3) up cuz it aint happenin
    Coffee and email while boy eats
    Pick up sleeping girl and take boy to school
    She wakes up in the car
    She screams
    Get home make her breakfast
    She won’t eat it
    Try to post a blog
    Come here to read this one
    Go read the rest of em—ok, SOME of the rest of em
    THEN the day begins–no time to breath–Twitter from phone all day—like it’s my right lung that I must manually pump (tweet) to stay alive—Wow, that’s sad πŸ™‚

  4. littlemissmary permalink
    March 17, 2009 4:54 am

    Husband comes in somewhere between 7 and 7:20 and lovingly begins to wake me with a chorus of “coma-mummy, coma-mummy!”

    I begrudgingly roll out of bed, take care of personal business in the bathroom and then it’s off to the kitchen, where coffee is made (and sometimes prepared), breakfast acutriments are arranged for the wee one’s morning meal, dogs have been let out, fed and let out again.

    Once the wee-one is in attendance (and on many days, she’s already there, dressed, bed made and into her meal by the time I make my appearance) I get started on her lunch. Then it’s the usual 3, 4 or more reminders to wash her face, brush her teeth and hair and find a couple of books to get her daily reading done before school.

    The bus comes at 8, and since I am now banned from going to the bus stop (right in front of the house) with her, I wave as the bus drives past and then it’s off to check e-mail and the like on my laptop since I don’t have an iPhone. After that, there is no usual. There should be and this is where I am guilty…

    So here’s what I should do:
    Read my bible
    Walk the dogs
    Tend to laundry and house as needed
    Run necessary errands

  5. March 17, 2009 4:55 am

    I can’t believe I did that again! I updated Mary’s blog and thought I was logged out!! GRRRRRRR!!!

  6. March 17, 2009 5:08 am

    The girls wake me up – we snuggle a bit. I check email, blogs & facebook. They get to watch one show to give mommy a buffer time to ease into waking up. breakfast, get dressed, dishes, make beds, then diapers, playing & cleaning are the rest of the day! πŸ™‚

  7. March 17, 2009 5:13 am

    I typed this out in detail once on your comments along time ago… I will have to see if I can find it…. Or if you could help… πŸ˜‰

    • March 17, 2009 7:05 am

      carl – i remember that post. that question was how long does it take you to get ready? we were all talking about showering and grooming.

      • March 17, 2009 9:26 am

        Yeah.. It would also be my mornings first 90 minutes…

        To bad someone doesn’t have a calendar archive on their blog to make it easy to go back in the past. I am just saying…. πŸ˜‰

        • March 17, 2009 10:19 am

          i know. im sorry. i’ll yell at brent about that πŸ˜€

  8. March 17, 2009 6:53 am

    Grunt (as mama gets up and heads for a private time with God – 30 minutes)
    Grunt again when she comes back – we start talking – well she does, me ? grunt.

    I have a morning time w/God and cry about my blessings and then weep as I recall all the difficulties others may be going through. Video chatted w/blogger last night until 11:30pm – mama was sleeping.

    I check email, blog, & facebook.

  9. Heidi permalink
    March 17, 2009 6:58 am

    4:15 pee
    4:20 Hot Shower
    4:45- Quilt/tea/God
    5:15- wake up Col
    5:18- blogs
    5:40- Wake up Elij
    6:00- Leave for the day!!!!

  10. March 17, 2009 7:11 am

    okay, the one eye bit? had me rolling!!!

    my first 90 are nowhere near as interesting. i think at best it involves waking the dog and cat…and the hubby…and sitting on my bootay checking my shtuff.

  11. March 17, 2009 8:14 am

    alarm goes off at 8
    check the email on my phone. i always hope for an email telling me class is canceled so i can get right back into bed.
    immediately after the disappointment, shower
    breakfast, while checking facebook, twitter, blogs
    finish getting ready
    out the door at 9:20 to catch the shuttle to campus

  12. March 17, 2009 8:56 am

    for the record: i love these fun little posts about your life. simple day to day stuff makes me happy.

    I’m not cool enough to have a cell phone [yes, i’m that one person on the planet that got left behind in the stone age] so there’s no email in bed for me.

    and morning? what’s morning? my day doesn’t start until darn close to afternoon πŸ™‚ i just have to make sure i don’t peek one eye open because Riley is the most patient dog and will stay snuggled next to me until noon if i choose to… but if he sees one eye peek at him he rolls on top of me with his belly in full display to be rubbed.

    but if I can move my fingers enough to rub his belly (there isn’t a part of me that can actual move when i wake up) i can buy another 20 minutes of having my eyes closed.

    he may pee on the kitchen floor a lot, but he’s perfect for my sleep schedule πŸ™‚

  13. March 17, 2009 9:05 am

    You forgot the part where you crank the heat up to five notches past BOILING, and then laugh that evil laugh knowing that no human being can endure being under the covers in that hellish temperature.

    • March 17, 2009 10:27 am

      i know!!! that has stopped. we turn the heat way down at night and then i turn it up to about 68 at around 7:30. but remember…youre bed was right on top of the vent. i told you it would get hot! or maybe youre gettin old and hot flashin πŸ˜•

  14. March 17, 2009 9:42 am

    3:30 dog barks, and i yell at her to shutup
    4:20 dog barks because coffee has started to run automatically
    4:30 put dogs out and feed them, pour coffee
    4:35 stare at coffee knowing that is not how it works
    4:45 check email
    5:00 quiettime/wake up the boy for the shower
    5:30 get dressed, and eat a bagel and drink more coffee
    5:45 check twitter
    5:50 warm up my car (me hates cold car in the dark most of all),wake up the girl for the shower
    6 :00 move the boy in the direction of the car(i take him with me on the bus, so he does not miss the bus)

    that is more than 90 minutes huh? shoot!

    • March 17, 2009 10:26 am

      derek gets up at 5??? i think im gonna cry for him *sniff*

  15. March 17, 2009 10:05 am

    5:30 alarm goes off
    5:40 alarm goes off again
    6:00 I hear one son get into shower, I begin to move, make coffee, read Bible
    6:15 next son into shower
    6:30 have “conversation” aka grunt, grunt with boys
    6:50 boys off to school
    Continue to read until about 7:30 then shower and start rest of day!

    • March 17, 2009 10:25 am

      my boy is much harder to get up than the girl is. wow…bless your heart!

  16. March 17, 2009 10:07 am

    the one eye thing… you’re not alone.
    It’s always the same eye for me though. And my mom told me that when I was a newborn I only kept one eye open. So, I think for me it’s just that one is more sensitive to light, or just likes to sleep in?

    I hit snooze for too long, but it varies day by day. So far this week:
    7:35-alarm starts to go off, I tell it not to by hitting the button on the side of my cell
    7:45-alarm does it’s job again, now I’m just sleeping holding my phone, so it’s easier to hit snooze again
    7:55-nooooooo. shut up. one more snooze. ahhh
    8:05- shoot, have to get up…stumble(with one eye open) to the bathroom…do various bathroom things
    8:10- stare at closet
    8:12- “put on my face”
    8:20- stare at closet, again
    8:24- put something on
    8:30- breakfast? stare at fridge, say hello to roomie who is in the process of readying herself as well, scoot past her in our tiny kitchen to grab something foodlike
    8:33- eat/drink something foodlike
    8:40- shoes? jacket? accessories?
    8:42- move/pet/say something weird to the cat(s)
    8:42 and 30sec- sit for a millisecond to stare at news
    8:50-oops, longer than a millisecond! gotta go
    9:05- hello co-worker, thank you for making the coffee!!!
    9:10-making/start consuming coffee
    9:15- open Photoshop and start the day

    (oh, and somewhere in there my other eye opens too. hopefully before I go to put eyeliner/mascara on!)

    and yes, I realize I’m luck that I can get ready that quickly and don’t have to wake up at 3-7ish! But I did my time… I worked at Starbucks for 2 years. Being at work at 4:15 sucks.

  17. March 17, 2009 10:09 am

    oh, forgot something…
    inbetween all of those steps are little prayers as I think of them through the fog.
    usually not in full sentences until later in the day when my brain is actually functioning.

    • March 17, 2009 10:23 am

      my brain doesnt function well int he morning either. ive learned its best to read and talk with God later in my day and throughout my day. i dont retain much in the a.m.

  18. March 17, 2009 11:08 am

    -Up at 5:30 ish
    -Husband hits the snooze
    -goes off again
    -drag myself out of bed
    -have devos.
    -husband wakes up the kids by 6:00 (turns on their light and some music)
    -I check email etc…sometimes make my lunch and have a quick breakfast
    -husband makes the kids breakfast, packs lunched and helps the 10 yr. old to stay focused
    -I’m in the shower by 6:15
    -out the door by 7:15, with all kids in tow, as we head to school (I love teaching at their school)

  19. March 17, 2009 11:09 am

    OH, the most important part….my husband makes me coffee….yes, I’m spoiled…..I mean BLESSED!

  20. March 17, 2009 1:03 pm

    Well, I am not a morning person so I don’t wake up until one of my children comes in and wakes me up. Hopefully there were no accidents in the night, but if they are then I strip the bed and the boy and change them both, start the washer. Then I check a couple things online and head downstairs. At this point me and my boys have a little cuddle while watching channel 8. At 7:30ish we say goodbye to Daddy with kisses and hugs. Then someone says I am hun-ger-rie. At which point the snuggle ends and I make breakfast while they jump and get in my way and tell me what they want to eat as many times as they can until it is ready.

  21. March 17, 2009 1:22 pm

    My wake-up time is closer to Gitz’s, usually around noon. I have two clock’s in my condo, the DVR and my PC, so I don’t know often know what time it is.

    15 minutes of slow stretching exercises, if I don’t my back tends to tighten up as the day wares on, especially if I sit down for too long.

    quick shower.

    Getting dress takes maybe 10 minutes.

    breakfast, usually just a banana & health nut bread with peanut butter and tea.

    Take time to looking out at the world outside my window. Usually birds, squirrels & kids playing. Listen to Latin Jazz on my iPod.

    That’s probably the first 90 minutes on most days.

    Most days I then go online and read my comics, the New York Times, Christian Science Monitor, the British paper The Guardian. Then I answer any comments on my blog, then read and comment on the blogs I read.

  22. March 17, 2009 3:51 pm

    I’m a morning person (though my hours lately would defy this), so I wake pretty much instantly even if I’ve had 3 hours sleep.

    Then it’s chat time with God (and I mean that – I usually just spend some time chatting away with Him, He often talks back when I stop. Cool huh). It’s then straight in the shower and off to work. I eat breakfast (generally an apple, or a nectarine, or…another fruit…) on the way. I’m usually at work within an hour of waking up.

    Diane on the other hand, lives on UK time. It works quite well at the moment. When we have kids, it may not…haha

  23. March 18, 2009 3:56 pm

    up at 5:30 (hubby left for work at 5)
    Treadmill, Superchick, and Toby Mac until 6:15 or so….on days I don’t hit the snooze button!
    Laptop, coffee, Twitter, Blog, E mail until 6:45
    Call my Kota on his cell phone to wake him up for school! (Instantly awake when he hears his phone ring…try it Tam!!)
    Wake up the other two boys and the girl
    Get snacks ready, braid Lizzie’s hair
    Kid’s out the door at 7:30 (school is two blocks away)
    Back to bed for some more sleep or reading (actual books! LOVE to read) till Katie (3 year old) wakes up!! Unless she sleeps until 9 or 10, on occasion, then I’m back up by 8:30.

    • March 18, 2009 4:01 pm

      ha! he doesnt have a phone. but he has an ipod touch and twitters. i can direct message him and it’ll alert him. that would be funny!!

  24. March 19, 2009 7:50 am

    I saw the picture of your leg. I saw the title “My Morning Ritual.” I thought you were going to show us a video of you shaving your legs.

    • March 19, 2009 8:25 am

      that wouldve ended up being a short film that looked more like a crime scene 😯

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: